16 November, 2006

Channeling the Ancient Submariner

So… OK, OK

This is a No Shitter



(… means NUB interruption so don’t worry it doesn’t matter what they said they are a nub after all)

No Really…

So back on my old boat …

It was a first run 688…

So we were a couple hundred miles South East of Halifax (gotta keep an eye on those Canadians) doing some unscheduled port vital bus maintenance…

Yea at Sea…

Like I said at sea…

[Roving Watch] Stupid

Yea Ok So? Tell the eng believe me he knows now.

So anyway we were a few days from starting our work up for [pause] For [pause] What the hell do they call that coner ORSE?

Anyway I’m sitting in middle level between the HPAC’s grading tests…

Yea Yea I know I shoulda been forward. Tell that to my mutant kids… (now that I think of it that might explain my TLD reading that month)

Anyway I’m sitting between the hipacs and the EOOW announces an Electric plant shift…

Yes a shift…

[Roving Watch] That was Stupid

Yea stupid butterbar…

So I start to get up to go to maneuvering and there is this loud bang…

Real Loud and the incandescents come on and the fluorescents go off…

Yep at Sea…

A lot of loud funny noise to my right So I look over and the Starboard MG is shaking like Shakira (so I modernized this part sue me)

No I mean that sucker was moving…

(Some context for non navy guys the MG is a chunk of metal the size of a car and spinning at ungodly RPM’s )

So I see the EWS streak up the ladder to the horseshoe…

[Roving Watch] Would you stop interrupting you stupid NUB or I ain’t signing crap. What was he doing down there?

ERF where else would an ELT EWS be on a boring watch…

So I start walking around testing the tripped breakers with the back of my hand and a few seconds later a cussing engineer comes striding through…

[Roving Watch] Bet he was pissed.

Oh yea he was steaming and the CO was right after him. Probably started moving the second he heard the electric plant shift announcement…

So anyway two hours later things are getting back to normal and we are bobing at PD in the North Atlantic at 1/3 everyone starting to puke from seasickness…

[Roving Watch] Bullshit

No…

Shut-up NUB. No really it’s a no Shitter.

So what do we learn from this?

1. A Nuclear Reactor Powered Steam Turbine will always win against an MG (even if it is the size of a car).
2. Then Breakers will open and I don’t care what the KAPL guys say you can’t always tell which ones. (Good lesson in the civy world too)
3. On the good to bad scale paralleling 120 degrees out of phase is bad. Bad bad bad
4. Never put a newly qualed butterbar on watch with half the electric plant tagged out and a Short RO, newly qualed EO and a mechanic at throttles.
5. Never let a RC Div NUB going for EO quals shift the plant at sea. Who cares what the plant status is.
6. And most importantly “The Stupid Shall be Punished

Any questions. Not bad for a 20 year old channel huh.




Eat your heart out Iowahawk.

Oh yea if you like it Link to it.

DCSSEC [at] gmail.com

Update:

Edited slightly for readability.

Another Update:

Though true to the genre this might not have been the best sea story to start with.

Some terms definitions here.

Digg!

No comments: